Here are my favorite movies from the 80's.
1. Amadeus - Dir. Milos Forman (1984)
This film is FANTASTIC! Two of the best performances in any movie are right here in this masterpiece. There is an overload of music, humor, drama, suspense, color, but somehow it works beautifully. A must see for a film lover.
2. Platoon - Dir. Oliver Stone (1986)
There is a feeling of authenticity in this film. Maybe its because Oliver Stone did a tour of duty in Vietnam. Such an amazing film.
3. The Empire Strikes Back - Dir. Irvin Kershner (1980)
The best of all the Star Wars films. So much emotion. Such an interesting story. I love, love, love this film.
4. Raging Bull - Dir. Martin Scorsese (1980)
Robert De Niro gives the best performance of his career in one of the best of all character studies.
5. Raiders of the Lost Ark - Dir. Steven Spielberg (1981)
Nobody does adventure like Spielberg.
6. My Left Foot - Dir. Jim Sheridan (1989)
Daniel Day-Lewis gives one of the best performances of the decade in a truly inspirational film. The greatest aspect of the film is in its portrayal of Christy Brown who, while amazing, was not in any way heroic. Check this one out.
7. Driving Miss Daisy - Dir. Bruce Beresford (1989)
I was not looking forward to this film. Thought it would be amazingly boring. Imagine my surprise when it moved me to tears. What a beautiful film about friendship.
8. Ordinary People - Dir. Robert Redford (1980)
Robert Redford's directorial debut, and it was a doozy. Such a painful film about the deep seeded pain in seemingly normal families.
9. Field of Dreams - Dir. Phil Alden Robinson (1989)
A childhood favorite. I love the enigma this film is. It never explains the mystery behind anything, which is one of its strengths.
10. When Harry Met Sally - Dir. Rob Reiner (1989)
Some of the best dialogue in any movie ever. This film actually gives me insight into my current relationship.
11. Sophie's Choice - Dir. Alan J. Pakula (1982)
This film is an emotional roundhouse to the gut. Meryl Streep is a goddess.
12. Back to the Future - Dir. Robert Zemeckis (1985)
Michael J. Fox is a gifted comedic actor. And this is one of the best of all fantasy films.
13. The Princess Bride - Dir. Rob Reiner (1987)
How did this film work? Its so outrageous. Yet it works as a comedy, romance, fantasy, action, and sometimes political commentary. Amazing.
14. Blade Runner - Dir. Ridley Scott (1982)
A visually stunning film. One of my favorite scifi films.
15. Do the Right Thing - Dir. Spike Lee (1989)
Spike Lee's best. Great film about race relations.
16. Say Anything - Dir. Cameron Crowe (1989)
Such a sweet love story. so tender and romantic.
17. Die Hard - Dir. John McTiernan (1988)
Sheer adrenaline! Bruce Willis at his best.
18. A Christmas Story - Dir. Bob Clark (1983)
I don't know if any other film has done nostalgia this well.
19. Bull Durham - Dir. Ron Shelton (1988)
This film has an extremely high baseball IQ. So funny, yet touching.
20. The Karate Kid - Dir. John G. Avildsen (1984)
One of the best friendships of all film. I love this film.