Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Film: A Review of 2007

We're already two months into 2008, so my apologies for the delay of this post. Living in Colorado Springs makes it tough to see some more obscure film before the end of the calendar year and it is my desire to see as much film as possible before reviewing the year.

I thought 2007 was pretty spectacular for film. The top three were pretty easy to decide, after that there were too many from which to decide. The order could easily be shifted.

Before the main list, here are a few minor ones.

Worst/Most Disappointing

Fortunately, I was able to steer clear of most of the crap released in 2007. Sadly, I still saw some not so great stuff. This list is a combination of stuff that was simply bad, and also film that I was looking forward to that was disappointing or didn't live up to potential. Here they are in alphabetical order.

Fracture
Margot at the Wedding
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Reign Over Me
Spider Man 3
Waitress

Most Surprising

Here's a list of film that I either didn't hear that much about, didn't look good on paper, or had a poor trailer, that I ended up really enjoying.

Gone Baby Gone
Superbad
Once
Mr. Brooks

Best of 2007

Honorable Mention: The Savages, Eastern Promises, Once, Charlie Wilson's War, Mr. Brooks

1. Into The Wild
2. There Will Be Blood
3. No Country For Old Men
4. Zodiac
5. Juno
6. Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
7. Gone Baby Gone
8. Knocked Up
9. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
10. Superbad
11. Rescue Dawn
12. Sunshine
13. 3:10 to Yuma
14. Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
15. The Bourne Ultimatum
16. Hot Fuzz
17. Grindhouse: Planet Terror & Death Proof
18. American Gangster
19. Breach
20. Michael Clayton

Movies I've not seen that may have changed this list: Atonement, The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, Dan in Real Life, The Kite Runner, Things We Lost in the Fire, Lars and the Real Girl, Lions for Lambs, Grace is Gone, I'm Not There, Persepolis, Youth Without Youth, Steep, In the Valley of Elah

Like I said, I enjoyed much of the film 2007 had to offer. It was tough to narrow it down, so I didn't. I still have trouble narrowing it down to ten. Did I leave anything out? Do you disagree? Let the dialog begin...

5 comments:

Brandy Daniels said...

There are SOOO many movies that I haven't seen yet. Ugh.

Nice to see ya blogging, I havent seen a blog from you in awhile. :-)

Tim Posada said...

I'm a fan of your list. BTW, I finally saw Raging Bull...not gonna lie, I really don't care for Scorsese's films. Sorry. But I still care for you.

Garret said...

sorry i am a little late on this list comment... but it is good...well not shitty... so that is a plus.

Lewis Cash said...

OK, so I'm way late to the party on this, simply because today is the first time I've read your blog (thanks to Garret).

Here are some of my thoughts on your list:

1. I'm not sure why Reign Over Me was in the worst/disappointing category. I thought that movie was fantastic and moving.

2. Gone Baby Gone was awesome. If you liked that movie (and based on Tim's comment also like Scorsese) then I suggest you go read "Shutter Island" by Dennis LeHane. It is currently in production for film by Scorsese staring Leo DiCaprio. LeHane also wrote Gone Baby Gone and Mystic River.

3. There is no way Zodiac would make my top ten... or even go in the "I Liked It" category for me.

4. You need to see Lars and the Real Girl. I have a feeling it would make it onto your list.

Numbers 2 and 4 can most likely be accomplished by a quick visit to your local library.

BJ said...

hello mr. lewish cash. Nice to have a new reader. Thanks for your comment.

1. Adam Sandler's character in Reign Over Me was insanely unbelievable. It wasn't that he over acted as much as the character was overwritten. He was a cartoon.

2. Thanks, I'd like to read some Dennis Lehane and I'm stoked for another Scorsese/Dicaprio crime drama.

3. Sorry to hear about Zodiac. I was full engaged, right up their in All the President's Men territory for me. David Fincher has yet to let me down, of course I've not seen Alien 3.

4. I enjoyed Lars and the Real Girl. Not every part worked for me but that Gosling guy sure as hell can act.