Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Dilemma










































Barring any unforeseeable obstacles, my roommate John and I are headed to Lollapalooza! I'm experiencing a level excitement which is causing me to sweat in places I never have. The current lineup is quite impressive. The likes of Radiohead, Wilco, Rage Against the Machine, Kanye West, The Raconteurs, Nine Inch Nails, and Gnarls Barkley will grace the stage with their presence....not to mention smaller equally awesome acts like Broken Social Scene, Explosions in the Sky, Iron and Wine, Devotchka, The Black Keys, and Grizzly Bear. Needless to say, I can't wait.

There is in fact a dilemma. Wilco and Rage Against The Machine are scheduled to perform at the same time. I love both of these bands. Who in the hell do I go and see?

I'm leaning towards RATM and let me tell you why. I've already seen Wilco twice this past year....once in May and once last September. I've never seen Rage. Rage has also been divorced, or I guess separated, for about 8 years now and they are performing again. This is a chance to see a historical band, once thought to be dead, now resurrected in glory. I'm also excited about the energy of a live performance from a band like Rage.

A couple of things that would send me Jeff Tweedy's way include that my roommate really wants to see them, even though he was with me in both September and May. Also, both of those shows were indoors, while they'd be playing on an outdoor stage at Lollapalooza. Finally, the concert is in Chicago, which is where Wilco hails from. Bands, like sports teams, usually play best at home.

What should I do?

2 comments:

Lewis Cash said...

No questions asked go see Rage. Even if you hadn't seen Wilco before you'd still have to go see Rage... who knows when you'll have another opportunity to see them.

BJ said...

Thanks for the tip, I think I'm leaning that way