Saturday, March 7, 2009

Film '08 Volume II

It's impossible to do a year in film justice without mentioning acting performances. I'd like to use this post as an ode to the most memorable performances for me. First, I'm going to do something I've not done before.

Certain scenes from movies sometimes leave more of an impression than the overall film. "Dude, remember when they hide the gun in the bathroom at the restaurant, Pacino goes in and gets it, then comes out and wastes 'em? That was awesome." Or, "I loved it when Spacey walks out of the police station and his limp goes away!" Or, "That was classic when Wayne and Garth sing Bohemian Rhapsody in the Merth Mobile!" People remember sequences. Here is the list of the most memorable sequences for me this year. I'll do my best to not put more than one or two per film.


1. "I'd like to phone a friend" Slumdog Millionaire

2. The opening burglary - The Dark Knight

3. Interrogating the Joker - The Dark Knight

4. Performing Dracula's Lament - Forgetting Sarah Marshall

5. Playing the djembe in the subway - The Visitor

6. Dancing in outer space - WALL*E

7. The diner scene - Pineapple Express

8. The chase through the Mumbai slums - Slumdog Millionaire

9. The final match - The Wrestler

10. Late night phone call - Frost/Nixon

11. Blackmail over the phone - Burn After Reading

12. Ray breaks down - In Bruges

13. The Barbershop - Gran Torino

14. Coming out to Dad - Milk

15. "I'm a broken down piece of meat" - The Wrestler

16. "There is no exit" - W.

17. "Can't smile without you" duet - Hellboy II

18. Prison confrontation - The Visitor

19. "I don't love you" - Revolutionary Road

20. "I am Iron Man" - Iron Man



Here are my favorite performances

Sadly, I've not seen many of the films featuring solid female performances. Maybe that's my fault, or maybe studios are guilty of not offering as many interesting roles for women to play.


Female:

1. Kate Winslet - Revolutionary Road
2. Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler
3. Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona
4. Melissa Leo - Frozen River
5. Taraji P. Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
6. Angelina Jolie - Changeling
7. Hiam Abbass - The Visitor
8. Frances McDormand - Burn After Reading
9. Emily Mortimer - Transsiberian
10. Cate Blanchett - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button


Male:

1. Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight
2. Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
3. Richard Jenkins - The Visitor
4. Sean Penn - Milk
5. Colin Farrell - In Bruges
6. James Franco - Pineapple Express
7. Josh Brolin - Milk
8. Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon
9. Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder
10. Leonardo Dicaprio - Revolutionary Road
11. Brad Pitt - Burn After Reading
12. James Franco - Milk
13. Brendan Gleeson - In Bruges
14. Michael Sheen - Frost/Nixon
15. Dev Patel - Slumdog Millionaire
16. Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man
17. Tom Cruise - Tropic Thunder
18. Ralph Fiennes - In Bruges
19. Russell Brand - Forgetting Sarah Marshall
20. Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road


Thanks for reading. Let me know what you think...

3 comments:

Mommy & Daddy Kennedy said...

Great lists all around. I agree with just about everything.

But, where is Happy-Go-Lucky? Have you seen it?

Eddie Marsan's performance is the best supporting role this year... yes, better than Heath.

Lewis Cash said...

FYI: Used my wife's account for my son's blog on the prevoius comment.

BJ said...

Happy Go Lucky is #2 on my netflix queue right now. It played at an indie theater here in colorado springs for a couple of weeks but i didn't make it. I'm looking forward to watching it soon. Thank you for continuing to dialogue.