Sunday, January 11, 2009

Albums of '08

This past year was a decent one for music. Several bands and artists I avidly listen to came out with albums. Some good, some disappointing. This year I wasn't able to come up with a list ranking the order of albums I like. I mean, how do you separate 3 from 4, or 9 from 10. It all depends on how I feel the day I write. Newer albums are fresher in my mind than ones I bought last March. So I decided to break it up into three categories; The Upper Echelon, Very Good, Halfway Decent.

The Upper Echelon (in no particular order):

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

Stunning debut. The singer/songwriter on an acoustic guitar thing got old a long time ago, but every once in a while something special comes along. This is one of those albums

Devotchka - A Mad and Faithful Telling

Hailing from Colorado, this band was made famous on the Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack. Their new album is full of energy. Really enjoyed it.

Gnarls Barkley - The Odd Couple

There's no single as catchy as Crazy on this album, but overall it is a stronger album than its predecessor.

Sigur Ros - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust

Of their 4 albums this one is my least favorite. It is the first that failed to carry me away to another realm That said, it's still a damn fine album with a few of their catchiest songs yet.



Very Good (in no particular order):


The Black Keys - Attack and Release

These guys are full of energy and it is evident on this album

Coldplay - Viva La Vida or Death and All of His Friends

The heart is back! After the passionless album that was X and Y, Coldplay rediscovered their heart. If not for a couple of boring songs in the middle of the album, this could have been something great.

Conor Oberst - Conor Oberst

This guy improves with every album. He's realizing that pretentious lyrics are not the only thing that make for good music. I enjoyed this departure.

Dungen - 4

Why am I the only person that listens to these guys. They are fantastic. Check 'em out.

Hearts of Palm - The Bridge EP

The lead singer was my locker partner in high school. I attend almost every show I can that this band plays in Denver. They are something special, and I hope they can survive their recent losses with a change of lineup.

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through The Static

He is developing as well. Just another solid album from this guy.

Kanye West - 808s and Heartbreak

Man, I'm glad I gave this one a second chance. Hated it when I first listened to the 30 second itunes clips. Glad I decided to buy it anyway. Kanye is good when he drops the stupid skits on the albums and does something serious. Maybe the theme of this album is really close to my heart as well right now. Thank you Kanye

Lindsey Buckingham - Gift of Screws

He is fantastic. He was the true brains behind Fleetwood Mac. Listen to this album

Mogwai - The Hawk is Howling

I enjoy everything these guys do. Nothing earth shattering on this album, simply very good.

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges

After the miracle that was "Z", this album was a bit disappointing. Still good though.

The Raconteurs - Consolers of the Lonely

This is a massive improvement on their debut album. Jack White is one of the best musicians in rock and roll right now.

The Roots - Rising Down

Doesn't match the brilliance of their best albums, but better than any other hip hop album I heard this year.

Spiritualized - Songs in A and E

Thanks to John for turning me on to these guys. I wish more people new about 'em. They are special.

Sun Kil Moon - April

Best discovery this year. Not necessarily for this particular album, which is still solid. But for Mark Kozelek, the brains behind this band and another band called Red House Painters who are a new favorite. He also played the bass player in Almost Famous. Check his bands out.

TV on the Radio - Dear Science,

These guys are an acquired taste. I'm glad I kept tasting. I'm digging this album.

The Verve - Fourth

Biggest surprise of the year. Their first album in ten years and it does not disappoint.


Halfway Decent (no particular order):

Beck - Modern Guilt

Very rarely do I love a song by Beck, but very rarely do I dislike one. Almost every song he's ever recorded I've liked on some level. With the exception of the album Sea Change, his work simply never brings me to that other level.

Death Cab For Cutie - Narrow Stairs

Good album. Nothing special.

The Mars Volta - The Bedlam in Goliath

The weakest album in their catalog, but there is still enough good stuff to warrant the purchase

Unwed Sailor - Little Wars

A recent discovery. I like these guys, but other bands do post rock better.

Weezer - Weezer (Red Album)

A couple of great songs on this album. Just too many forgettable ones. Too bad, it could have been something.


Most Disappointing Albums this year

Common - Universal Mind Control

Club Music?!?!?!?!?! Sometimes change is good. This wasn't.

One Day as a Lion - One Day as a Lion

We've been waiting for Zach de la Rocha's solo album for almost a decade and this is what he gives us. With the success of Audioslave, makes you wonder if the rest of the guys were the true brains behind Rage Against the Machine.


Favorite Songs of the year.

I won't rank these in order either. I'll try to limit it to one per band.

Beck - Gamma Ray
The Black Keys - Strange Times
Bon Iver - Flume
Coldplay - Death and All of His Friends
Devotchka - Along the Way
Gnarls Barkley - Who's Gonna Save My Soul?
Jack Johnson - Angel
Kanye West - Say You Will
Lindsey Buckingham - Time Precious Time
Mogwai - Batcat
My Morning Jacket - Highly Suspicious
The Raconteurs - Consoler of the Lonely
The Roots - Rising Down
Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook
Spiritualized - Sweet Talk
Sun Kil Moon - Lost Verses
TV on the Radio - Crying
Weezer - The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived

Albums I'm looking forward to this year

Mos Def
Bon Iver
John Frusciante
U2
The Decemberists
David Bazan
Michael Jackson (rumors)
Matisyahu
Green Day
Muse
Wilco
Amy Winehouse

That's about it. Thanks for reading.

5 comments:

Lewis Cash said...

Nice list. There's a few on here that I plan on checking out. Also, there is a lot of crossover from my best of 2008 list.

However, two bones to pick:

1. I hate the Coldplay record. I think its terrible, uninspired, and above all plagerized (see: http://www.findingrhythm.com/blog/?p=1474)

2. I really enjoyed One Day as a Lion. I thought it was a great intro to a band that can be amazing.

Just my two cents.

BJ said...

Mr. Cash,

Thank you again for your two cents. It's nice to have somebody I don't know reading this thing.

1. I understand your feelings on Coldplay. I've heard the Joe Satriani song If I Could Fly and Coldplay's single does bear a striking resemblance. I will in no way defend them. Most likely, between the four of them, at least one of them is familiar with Mr. Satriani's work. I will say though that it is possible, however unlikely, that with the limited amount of chord progressions available in the world of music that these songs happen to be similar. If it is plagiarism, look at the other artists who've done the same before Coldplay. The most obvious is the intro to Wake Up by Rage which bears a striking similarity to Zeppelin's Kashmir. Also, listen to Bright Eye's First Day of my Life and then listen to Bob Dylan's Don't Think Twice It's Alright. Very similar. Also, listen to Family Tree by Ben Kweller, then listen to I'm Only Sleeping by The Beatles. It's virtually impossible for all of the artists in rock and roll to exist without purposeful or accidental plagiarism. It is not a big problem for me. If Mr. Satriani deserves financial compensation, I hope he gets it but it does not ruin the song for me, which I already do not think is the strongest on the album.

2. Maybe I have not given One Day as a Lion a fair shot. I bought it, sure it'd be great, and was unimpressed. It felt like a boring Rage ripoff. Why couldn't Zack go a new exciting route? Angry political and social commentary by itself does not make compelling music.


I've viewed your blog as well. I enjoy your movie list and within the next month I will hopefully have seen enough film from 08 to make a respectable list.

Unknown said...

personally i always thought audioslave was kinda crappy -- it would have needed to be brutally awful for a band with those guys in it not to be successful (nevermind that chris cornell manages to be a hit machine on modern rock radio).

one day as a lion is right up my alley and i've played it over and over -- not an insult but judging by the music you seem to be into, its not that wierd that you didn't like it. Tom morello and zach were equally impressive in rage, but morello toned it down big time for audioslave and I just don't get that same feeling from zach on this project.

Tim Posada said...

Gran Torino, thoughts?

Tim Posada said...

I agree, several performances were terrible. I also took issue with part of the premise. We're supposed to allow grace for a racist man, yet that same grave isn't offered to anyone in a gang, who are as stereotypical and cliche as they come. I felt that "Unforgiven" handled the critique of American ideology with much more finesse than this film. That said, I love Eastwood's role and found myself uncomfortably laughing the entire time.