Monday, January 4, 2010

Memories of '09

A couple of years ago I started blogging in the first week of the new year about the highlights of my previous year. Each time proved equally cathartic so I continue to look forward to this blog.

I was having one of my tougher life phases at the beginning of this year. I still remember a conversation I had with my Mom in January. It was short. All it consisted of was her hugging me closely and whispering in my ear "this is going to be a good year for you. I feel it." I didn't even thank her. I specifically remember saying "yeah, whatever," and walking to my car.

My mom proved yet again, she is always right...



January:

-Spent the new year in the pacific northwest for the third year in a row. this time I was there to celebrate Brad and Rachel's wedding. fun week.


February:

-Began my 3 month marathon training. Simply beginning was an awesome feeling.


March:

-An amazing European excursion with John. We hit all over England and ended in Paris. John and I annoyed the hell out of each other for 10 days, but I can only look back on it with fond memories. Thanks buddy.

-After years of deliberating, I finally decided to pursue a career in physical therapy. I sent my application in the morning we left for Europe.


April:

-not a great month, just a lot of long distant running and watching the Rockies lose


May: One of the most epic months of my life

-ran and completed my first marathon. finished in 3:36. it was one of the most beautiful experiences of my life

-2 days later, accepted an invitation to run with this cute girl from work

-2 days later, shared an epic first kiss with said girl

-2 days later, left for California where I set sail with the Riley family on a week long cruise up to British Columbia. Love you guys

-had several more dates with the cute girl, brought her to meet the family, and asked her to "go steady"

-took the cute girl to the Decemberists' concert in denver. awesome show, better company



June:

-spent an insane amount of time with Carrie

-Mile High Music Festival with Carrie and our friend Kuks. Highlight - Ben Harper and the Relentless 7


July:

-Kyle and Kelly came to visit, awesome weekend.

-Carrie told me she loved me

-I said it back

-didn't know it at the time, but I met my future in laws over the 4th. great weekend

-Wilco at Red Rocks- face meltingly unbelievable


August:

-After 2 long years, finally left my job at Alpine. Amazing feeling

-Spent a fun week in Hilton Head, SC, in a beach house with Carrie's family

-First Day of class at UCCS. Truly felt like a new phase of life


September:

-Readjusting to life as a student-got A's on all my first exams

-Another exciting September of Rockies baseball


October:

-took Carrie to her first Rockies playoff game. maybe next year


November:

-set a wedding date! one of those scary (in a good way) feelings. Strangely enough, while being a little scary, it was also one of the more comforting feelings I've ever had.

-Bobbie (carrie's mom) came for thanksgiving.

-Ray Lamontagne show with carrie in denver. awesome evening.


December:

-kicked ass and took some names during finals week

-my surprise birthday party which I accidentally found out about. thank you to everyone who came. Carrie is great

-a couple of days in breck with the family. great to be back up on the skiis and even better to just hang with the fam

-a month and a half after setting a date, officially proposed to carrie! it was a subtle yet beautiful evening. i'll never forget it. not a moment of it.

-christmas in texas with the future in laws. i am spoiled :)

-meeting Greg, Jen, and the twins for the first time. I am officially an uncle. I love it

-Seeing Les(my future father in law) in action coaching Texas Tech Basketball. Exciting game in Lubbock



2009 already goes down as a definitive year in my life. I look ahead with an optimism that was not present a year ago.

1 comment:

Lewis Cash said...

Wow, some year. Very cool idea to look back at your year and reflect on it.

By the way, my wife's name is Carrie. And she's awesome. That's a good sign.

Also, thanks for commenting on my top 50. Of the three mainstream records you mentioned (Green Day, Pearl Jam, and Wilco) I only got my hands on the Wilco record. It was good, but I didn't fall in love with it.

Honestly, some of the 'lesser know indie records' I listed are really, really great. Be sure to give them a few listens before writing them off because I feel like there are some truly great records on that list. I'd be happy to share the full albums with you (via a thumb drive or online file sharing site) if you'd like. You can e-mail me at nole.kennedy@gmail.com

I'm looking forward to your list!