Thursday, March 18, 2010

Film pre 1960

As a way to stay busy while I don't have much studying to do over spring break, I've decided to compile a series of lists.

A few years ago I made lists of my favorite films and albums from each decade. After hearing many more albums, watching and rewatching much film, I've decided to update the lists.

Here are my favorite films pre 1960


1. On the Waterfront - Dir. Elia Kazan (1954)



This film moved me so incredibly deeply the first time I saw it. Brando gives a legendary performance.

2. The Bicycle Thief - Dir. Vittorio De Sica (1948)



One of the simplest yet greatest of all movies

3. 12 Angry Men - Dir. Sidney Lumet (1957)



I Still can't get over how exciting this film is while taking place in one room.

4. Citizen Kane - Dir. Orson Welles (1941)



A must see for any film lover.

5. Rear Window - Dir. Alfred Hitchcock (1954)



An intense experience. Grace Kelly is beautiful. Jimmy Stewart is amazing.

6. Seven Samurai - Dir. Akira Kurosawa (1954)



The Best of Kurosawa, which is saying a lot.

7. Sunset Boulevard - Dir. Billy Wilder (1950)



Weird and creepy film noir with great performances.

8. Casablanca - Dir. Michael Curtiz (1942)



Classic dialogue and romance.

9. Bridge on the River Kwai - Dir. David Lean (1957)



fantastic adventure story.

10. Rashomon - Dir. Akira Kurosawa (1950)



So incredibly influential. Kurosawa is a master.

11. The Wizard of Oz - Dir. Victor Fleming (1939)



Childhood favorite that still makes me smile.

12. The Seventh Seal - Dir. Ingmar Bergman (1957)



Brilliantly contemplative. If you like Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, check this out.

13. It's a Wonderful Life - Dir. Frank Capra (1946)



Beautiful film. John loves Donna Reed, can't say I argue with him.

14. Ben-Hur - Dir. William Wyler (1959)



I'm glad Charlton Heston didn't have a gun in this film

15. Vertigo - Dir. Alfred Hitchcock (1958)



The master of suspense in another suspenseful film.

16. Giant - Dir. George Stevens (1956)



The only good James Dean performance.

17. A Streetcar Named Desire - Dir. Elia Kazan (1951)



Great performances from Brando and Vivien Leigh

18. The Treasure of the Sierra Madre - Dir. John Huston (1948)



Classic

19. Pinocchio - Dir. Hamilton Luske & Ben Sharpsteen (1940)



One of Disney's best

20. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof - Dir. Richard Brooks (1958)



Great performances by Elizabeth Taylor and Paul Newman.


Next post will be my favorite albums of the 60's.

No comments: