Here are my favorite albums of the 90's...
1. Radiohead - OK Computer (1997)
Stunning...breathtaking...weird...simply brilliant. I had heard Radiohead songs before, but this is the album that sold me on them all those years ago. Wow.
2. Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill (1998)
Lyrically brilliant, powerful rapper, and vocally jaw dropping. She is something else. Thank the powers that she is a nut job. If she was emotionally stable, we'd most likely be deprived of her moving music.
3. Radiohead - The Bends (1995)
Not as influential as ok computer, but this is one of the best pure rock and roll records of all time. So much energy. I never tire listening to it.
4. Jeff Buckley - Grace (1994)
Death came to this man all too early. Vocally, he's as good as any rock star I've ever heard, Freddie Mercury notwithstanding. Lyrically, he's very unique. And he sure can play guitar. Amazing album.
5. Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)
Nevermind gets all the grunge love, but I happen to enjoy this one more. This album shows Nirvana firing on all cylinders.
6. Elliott Smith - Either/Or (1997)
Sometimes I need to feel sad, and this is my go to album for that. Again I ask, if Elliott was happy, would we be deprived of something great?
7. Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)
Even with all the hype and mystique surrounding this album, it still manages to be awesome.
8. Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun (1999)
Holy cow, this album knocked me on my ass, in a completely calming and euphoric way. I hadn't heard beauty in my car's speakers like this before.
9. The Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness (1995)
Not as focused as Siamese Dream, but an altogether more rewarding experience. Corgan throws everything including the kitchen sink into this album. God help me I love it.
10. Mos Def - Black on Both Sides (1999)
Spectacular hip hop album. Lyrically profound and the beats make me tingle in my giblets.
11. Bjork - Homogenic (1997)
The best album by one of the best vocalists recording right now.
12. Wilco - Being There (1996)
One of the best American bands of the last 15 years. This album of southern rock/country may be their crowning achievement.
13. Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (1994)
I love this album almost as much as ten.
14. Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
This is a truly unique alternative band. This album is a new favorite.
15. Red House Painters - Ocean Beach (1995)
Great album by a great band that nobody listens to. Pity.
16. Elliott Smith - XO (1998)
Some kind of pop wonder this album is. He is so good.
17. Rage Against the Machine - Self Titled (1992)
This album punches you in the gut. Brings back high school memories.
18. Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - (1993)
Fantastic arena rock album. Love it.
19. The Roots - Things Fall Apart (1999)
Brilliant hip hop album. Check it out.
20. U2 - Achtung Baby (1991)
Doesn't reach the heights of their 80's stuff, but a great album nonetheless.
Some honorable mentions. (Grew up on 90's music so I have a few more favs)